Friday, February 26, 2010

I put my FOOT in that Chicken! (and some Goldschlager too)

Goldschlager and chicken?
[I know what you're thinking: "Wow Bernadette, you've hit a new level of alcoholism today"]

But hear me out...

What I made was Indonesian Ginger Chicken...[recipe courtesy of the Barefoot Contessa , whom I LOVE!]...with a twist.  As I have mentioned before, I have the attention span of a two year old, and that charming characteristic of mine also extends to following recipes.

The recipe itself is quite simple:

Minced Garlic (4 cloves)
Shredded Fresh Ginger (1/4 cup)
Honey (1/2 cup)
Soy Sauce (1/2 cup)
Sea Salt
Coursely Ground Black Pepper
Bone in chicken [breast, thighs, whatever you have, preferably with skin]

Simmer all ingredients minus the chicken, salt and pepper in small sauce pan until the honey melts

But as I was simmering, I thought to myself..."Well I just bought a bottle of Goldschlager (cinnamon schnapps) yesterday [stocking up for the impending snow] and that makes EVERYTHING taste better" and before I knew it, I was pouring that wonderful potent potable into the mix, along with some fresh lemon zest and dried chilies I found in my cupboards.

Pour the sauce over chicken, which has been generously seasoned with salt and pepper

Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until juice of pierced meat runs clear...

But single city gal cannot live on booze-soaked chicken alone...

    

Sides:
Pan Fried Bruschetta
[I got my baguette from a different grocery store this time, and it was disappointing, to say the least, but butter is love, and it forgives a multitude of sins]
Garlic Lemon Couscous 
[I refrain from using seasoning packets because they're often LOADED with sodium--and as black folks, salt is damn near kryptonite! trashing the seasoning packet saved me--510mg of sodium/serving--ridonkulous!]


The end result: a fabulous dinner, complete with a glass of wine, garnished with organic gala apple slices [which also made a fabulous dessert because I may or may not have eaten half a box of cinnamon sugar cookies from target for breakfast/lunch today]


mmm, mmm, good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Eat, Read, Rant!