Monday, February 15, 2010

The lamb chops still taste good after 8 days...

I know what you're thinking:

"8 day old lamb...ewww!"

"You're going to get food poisoning..."

"Just how broke are you?"

"That's just wrong..."

"8 days?! Are you crazy?!" etc, etc 

But just bear with me.

At some point last week, I want to say it was Tuesday, I made lamb chops. And they were good. Really Good:

Bone-in Lamb chops
Fresh* rosemary**
Cracked whole garlic cloves
Olive oil 
Sea salt 
Fresh ground black pepper*

Marinated in a ziplock bag, about 6 hours. (I came home from work during my lunch break to prepare them, took about 20 minutes, yeah...living walking distance from my job is a real PLUS)

Grilled (yes, grilled) on a good quality, solid cast-iron grill pan. (apartment warming gift from my sister, LOVE IT!)

*These are non-negotiable. Dried rosemary really won't cut it, and neither will pre-ground black pepper.  You will tasted the difference, and after all that work, why make a fuss over such reasonably priced extravagances.  TRUST ME.

[I will have to dedicate an entire post to kitchen/pantry must-haves]

**When  marinating meat with such an aromatic herb such as rosemary, I skewer the rosemary into the flesh of the meat, to really ensure the flavor penetrates within. 


mmm lamb chops...last Tuesday.

So then what happened??

I of course made a whole meal complete with sides (and wine),  but they were nothing special, so I won't elaborate on that meal any further.

>>>Fast forward. If you know me well, you know I have the attention span of a two year old, and after 2 days of chops for lunch and/or dinner. I had enough.

Then LIFE happened, and I had to go out of town for a few days. The lamb went in the freezer, and 4 days later, I returned home to Baltimore and the STORM OF THE CENTURY.  Rather than eat more lamb chops during the days I was confined indoors, I only did what prisoners of winter usually do: indulge my cravings for breakfast food and cheesy bread.

Before I realized it,  the lamb chops had been out of the freezer for days, that bag of fresh spinach I bought the week before was still open, probably half frozen, most certainly kinda slimy, and I had not eaten a real meal in over a week! [gasp says the health promotion professional!]

So what's a girl to do?

Pray & Get Creative:


That not-so-fresh, kinda slimy, but it still cost $4 bag of spinach did not go to waste!
 Sauteed in butter & olive oil [yes, both! butter is love, but olive oil is life, will discuss later] with minced garlic, salt & pepper. 



Bruschetta anyone? 
A simple grocery store baguette will do, [I've long stopped searching for the ever elusive authentic Parisian baguette. I've accepted the fact that I'm not in paris anymore...sigh] my only demand is that if I give the bread a squeeze, I feel a crunch. See those crumbs? That a from a good outer crust. 


Diced tomatoes, minced garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. 

Now this was a departure from my usual bruschetta recipe.  I "fried" the bread in butter & olive oil on the stove top. [I should defend this action by saying i just spent 4 days in Georgia]
Best decision EVER.

Oh yeah, and the lamb chops. I just reheated a chop in the same skillet I fried the bread in, with butter remnants and all, and a little water for some moisture.  The end result:

A wholesome, delicious real meal, complete with lemon for a bit of acid on the spinach, an aperitif of sparkling peach pear soda (courtesy of Target!) with a splash of vodka, over ice. 
Mmmm, leftovers never tasted so good. 

[and I didn't die, yay!]

6 comments:

  1. This is too funny... I bought spinach yesterday and Mercedes decided to saute it with butter and olive oil. What a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to come to ur house for dinner. Ur like freakin Emril

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toya, tell Merceded to get out of my head! and asha, I don't cook like this often. 4 days a week, dinner is cereal. maybe that's why i've lost so much weight...oh well

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Found your blog thanks to Latoya. On the baguette, if you are a Costco member, they have fantastic fresh bread. They sell a crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside french baguette that is perfect for bruschetta (or just eating with butter). They also have really good ciabatta. And all of it freezes really well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it freezes well you say? i may have to start freezing my baguettes, i live along, so i either have to pig out on carbs for a two days or throw half of it away. for that same reason i'm not a costco member, the other reason being that my apt isn't that big, and i have no where to store costco size anything. but i will thinking about freezing the bread next time

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Eat, Read, Rant!