Friday, June 24, 2011

Día y Noche en la Feria


When I last left you, I was just getting to the good stuff. And by the good stuff, I mean, well all of the feria. Like any fair that's operational 17 hours a day, the feria has two identities, which, as I'm sure you can guess, divide along the rising and setting of the sun. I wasn't joking when I said the feria is the like the state fair on steroids. During the day, the crowd is more family friendly--whatever that may mean by Spanish standards--there are wee children, dancing, horses, booze and cigarette smoke, jamòn, you know the usual.  It's a sight to behold, and experience not to be missed if one can help it. What I loved most about the daytime was the atmosphere and the feeling that I wasn't missing out on any of the cultural experience. Oh no, during the day, I was never able to forget that I was in Spain, and that in itself made my trip more than amazing. I feel extremely priveleged to have participated in this celebration, which is shockingly, but pleasantly devoid of tourists.  Below are some of my favorite pictures during my time under the Andalusian sun.










I would be remiss if I didn't touch a little more on the food (and drink). Except the food was exactly the same as last year. Pork, jamòn, potatoes, eggs, fried things and white bread. Delicious and deleterious at the same time. *kanye shrug*


Glorious jamòn. Yes, that is a pig's leg, and yes, it is life changing, and worth every freakin calorie. 


And the rebujitos--a simple libation of fino, which is a Sherry from Jerez, and 7-up. Deceptively light and magically delicious. ¡Salud!

When the sun went down, sometime around 10pm, the feria took on a whole new life. I'm sure it goes without saying that the night time is when the party-->read: boozin' and foolishness<-- really starts. And just like last year, I did as the Spanish did, and partied my face off. I didn't get "naked wasted"* [or did I?], but I will say that I partied so hard, especially on the last evening of the feria, that my feet were still hurting several days AFTER I returned to the States. The photographs below illustrate just how one goes about permanently damaging their feet in just a few days time.




Do the Mateo McConaughey Dance!

Who are we kidding, you know I made a slide show!


¡Ole!

*not to be taken literally, the term "naked wasted" is a reference from the O.C. Housewives, and generally refers to a level of intoxication that would cause an individual to engage in activities they would typically frown upon/laugh and point at, but not quite drunk enough to make any life altering or regret inducing choices. :D

3 comments:

  1. I can't! LOL Naked wasted... I'm going to start using that term with that explanation. Can you say, "July 23rd"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I can't wait!

    2011/6/24 Disqus <>

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool that you got to be a part of such an authentic Spanish experience!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Eat, Read, Rant!