Monday, August 1, 2011

Meatless Monday: City Girl Coleslaw



¡Sin mayonesa, por favor! In addition to, "Si, soy Americana, y yo no voté por George Bush" and "¿Donde está el baño?" I am absolutely certain that these will be the most important words of my Spanish lexicon to ensure both a smooth and happy transition transition to my future life in Spain. You see, the Spanish are really into mayonnaise, and for as long as I've been alive,  I have harbored a pure and unadulterated hatred toward mayonnaise that was the cause of many b!tch fits/food tantrums in my childhood. In an outright defiance of the expectations of the maturation of the palate from infancy to adulthood, it seems that my disdain for this condiment has actually gotten worse. No longer can my taste buds ignore the presence and rancid taste of mayonnaise in classic dishes like coleslaw and potato salad. No more will I subject myself to forcibly ingesting portabello sandwiches that would otherwise be perfect had they not been smeared with "garlic aoli" because the owners of Soup's On refuse to make a yogurt based garlic spread per my telepathically demanded, though never verbally submitted requests. NO MORE! Today this city girl takes a stand! Today, I declare my war on mayonnaise! Whose with me?!

Now that I've amassed an army formidable enough to take on the evil mayonnaise empire, the first matter of business is this 1000% awesome, though hardly original, mayonnaise-free coleslaw, fit for city girls and mayonnaise haters alike. 





Slaw
1 head purple cabbage, finely chopped
4 large carrots, shredded
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Cinnagrette Dressing (adapted from Baltimore Health Coach) 
Measurements are extremely relative
1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
1/8 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/8 cup EV Olive Oil
1/2 Tbsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Honey
2 Tsp Cinnamon
Salt and Pepper to taste

Toss carrots and cabbage together until well mixed, set aside. Combine dressing, adjusting ingredients to taste. Add dressing to cabbage mixture and chopped walnuts, tossing until all is well coated. Serve chilled and enjoy. 



¡Viva la resistencia!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a delicious alternative to regular coleslaw, not that I've ever been a fan of the stuff. I do like mayo, but only in small doses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was quite tasty, I literally ate half the bowl in one night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave at eRecipeCardsAugust 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM

    Delicious... Love a mustard based cole slaw.  I have a tough time using measurements for mine as well... too many squirt bottles to measure.. just a squirt here and there

    Thansk for submitting
    Dave eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worship mayo! Would I still like it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if you're a mayo lover, I think you would like this version. What it lacks in creaminess from the mayonnaise, it more than makes up for in flavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't support this crusade. I love a nice homemade garlic aioli. All over my potatoes bravas!! Or my frites!! Though good mayo is hard to come by, so I usually resort to making my own, and I can see why many people don't like it. They simple have not had mine;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Eat, Read, Rant!