Monday, January 17, 2011

Meatless Monday: Funghi a la Escargots




I used to hate mushrooms. HATE them. I used to hate mushrooms so much, that when I studied abroad in Italy, I would surreptitiously pick them out of my delicious and authentic Italian food, and put them on the side of my plate. I sometimes thought I could feel the resentment of the Italian people, and swore I saw them staring at me with jaws agape. But then again, the Europeans don't find it rude to stare at people as if they have two heads, I was the only person of color in my group, and the men there are every bit as aggressive and forward as you've heard, so I soon realized that if they were staring, it wasn't because I picked the mushrooms out of my spaghetti. Anyway, the moral of this story is that somehow or another my pure and unadulterated disdain for mushrooms slowly faded away, and now I consider myself a fan of the fungi. Which brings me to my next point, which is this amazing recipe for mushrooms in the style of escargot. You see, escargot is the French delicacy of snails. But a good travel book once told me that even if you don't like snails, you should still order the dish and sop up the butter and garlic based sauce with your bread. It's pure genius! I found this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, and she found this recipe from Gourmet.com. It's the circle of liiiiiiiife (cue Disney music), and life is good and buttery and delicious!









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Eat, Read, Rant!